Washington Gas Light Co. Sr. Internal Auditor, Data Analytics in Vienna, Virginia
Participates as a project team member on assigned data analytics projects, Internal Audits and special reviews. May also function as project lead on Internal Audit projects. Completes the Company's Sarbanes-Oxley certification process of internal controls over financial reporting for assigned cycles. Participates in the risk assessment process; leads business process control reviews to assess design; tests and determines the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls; and assists in the evaluation of deficiencies. Position may require approximately 10% travel, both domestic and international.
Tasks and Responsibilities
• Performs testing to determine the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls for assigned SOX cycles and assigned Internal Audit projects.
• Conducts walkthrough meetings with business unit contacts and assesses the design of internal controls for assigned SOX cycles. For internal audits, gathers and organizes background and other information to properly plan the audit and any special reviews.
• Actively participates in kickoff, closing, and other client meetings; presenting observations and conclusions relevant to work performed.
• Updates process documentation (narrative, flowchart and control matrix) for changes in assigned SOX cycles.
• Assists in the annual risk assessment and materiality processes, as well as deficiency evaluations. For Internal Audit Projects, prepares the risk assessment matrix to clearly and concisely document the business objectives, key risks and management controls. Develops appropriate plans to test the key controls.
• Develops, presents and works with business units to design effective controls and/or implement value-added recommendations to strengthen internal controls, prevent fraud and improve operating processes.
• Consults on changes to policies and procedures, identifies exceptions to policies and procedures, recommends solutions and reports issues to supervisors and management.
• Conducts control reviews on new processes and procedures, and participates as a team member on projects related to the improvement of the control environment.
• Understand the organization’s data structures and content to achieve efficiencies and increase effectiveness of our overall audit activities.
• Prepares or contributes to weekly status reports for internal and external audiences on SOX and Internal Audit progress.
• Prepares Control Impact Evaluation Memos for deficiencies, as needed. This involves a discovery and interview process with executive and senior management to codify the background; an internal controls appraisal; an assessment of the quantitative and qualitative considerations for the deficiency evaluation; and a conclusion or judgment as to the significance of the deficiency.
• Develops relationships with management personnel to build rapport and serves as a controls expert or consulting resource on control issues throughout the organization, including company initiatives or system implementations.
• Build relationships with business intelligence and data owners across the business. Raise awareness of the data analytics program within IA, and to key members of IT and business management to promote IA capabilities.
• Provide both advisory and execution support in audits by identifying, developing, documenting, or executing audit analytics during all relevant stages of an audit.
• Assist audit teams to identify where anomalies and trends may highlight needed audit focus.
• Actively learn and apply knowledge gained through professional development opportunities, including external and internal training.
• Trains, monitors and reviews the work of internal and consulting resources, may function as team lead as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor's Degree Accounting, Finance, Business, Data Management or a related discipline is required. required
• 5+ Years 5 years of experience in public accounting, internal audit, corporate accounting, data management or a combination thereof, including a minimum of 3 years of auditing experience required. Master’s degree in related discipline or CPA may be substituted for 1 year of required experience. required
• CPA, CIA or data management certification strongly preferred.
• Master’s degree, MBA, ‘Big 4’ financial auditing experience, and/or continuous monitoring/data analytics experience including experience using data analytics tools preferred.
• Energy or utility experience preferred.
• Proven technical understanding and demonstrated command of accounting principles, audit techniques, risk management processes and procedures, information technology and automated system controls.
• Demonstrated ability to present ideas logically and concisely to diverse internal and external audiences at all organizational levels, both verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to resolve conflicts, persuade decision makers, motivate people, inspire teamwork and influence groups.
• Proven strong aptitude for problem solving and root cause analysis, including the demonstrated ability to conceptualize and analyze multiple scenarios in solving business problems.
• Proven strong project management and organizational skills complemented by a keen sense of personal responsibility and initiative. Demonstrated ability to write and present diverse ideas in a logical and concise manner.
• Demonstrated the ability work independently and proactively identify opportunities for improvement.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Access, etc.), as well as Visio, able to understand the concepts of and efficiently use technology. Able to use electronic document management systems or audit work paper software.
WGL is an EO employer – M/F/Vets/Disabled
WGL is an EEO employer – M/F/Vets/Disabled
WGL Holdings, Inc. is a public utility holding company and the parent company of WGL, a diversified energy business that provides natural gas, electricity, green power, carbon reduction and energy services. Our calling as a company is to make energy surprisingly easy - for our employees, for our community and for all our customers. WGL and its affiliates are committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status. sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, matriculation, physical or mental disabilities, political affiliation, genetic information, status as a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.