Kiewit Corporation Civil/Structural Underground Transmission Engineer - Kiewit Power Engineers in San Diego, California
Requisition ID: 150900
Job Level: Entry Level
Home District/Group: Kiewit Power Engineering
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
We are an innovative team of engineers and designers that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff leads and collaborates with Kiewit’s module fabrication and construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Power district , which includes structural, civil, piping, mechanical, process, process safety, electrical, instrument and control disciplines, is a multi-faceted division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the EPC delivery model for power facilities. We offer a variety of engineering services, including owner's engineering, project development, detailed engineering and design, construction management and plant services. Our engineering teams bring power projects to life across North America in the following areas:
Renewables and new technology
This position is based out of our San Diego, CA office and typically requires less than 25 percent travel.
• Prioritize work and manage multiple projects under budget and time constraints.
• Develop a personal initiative and ability to interact with personnel, contractors, regulatory representatives, and town / city officials in a positive, collaborative and team-building manner.
• Learn the preparation of design deliverables for underground transmission lines including plan and profiles, ampacity calculations, pulling calculations, material selection, duct bank design, riser structure design, horizontal directional drilling design and construction specifications in compliance with safety, environmental and industry/client standards and policies.
• Learn to review and approve drawings and material lists developed by designers.
• Develop project estimates and schedules, evaluate design options and criteria for technical merit, and conduct field visits to verify routing conditions and parameters.
• Learn to review drawings for manufacturers and use pertinent information in the production of design drawings.
• Become a lead for efforts specific to underground transmission line civil/structural work such as:
a. Horizontal Directional Drilling
b. Jack & Bores; micro-tunneling; other trenchless technologies
c. Foundation and Structural Steel Design for cable riser structures
d. Bridge attachments Design
e. Duct Bank and manhole loading calculations
f. Seismic design for duct bank, manholes and riser structures
g. Cable structural steel racking in manholes and riser structures
• Learn standards such as ANSI, ASTM & ASCE, NAD/NAVD, ACI, AISC, ASCE, AWS, CRSI, and OSHA. And willing to learn basic electrical standards such as: IEC, ICEA, AEIC and NESC.
• Accredited Bachelor of Science degree in Civil or Structural Engineering; Master’s degree or greater in Structural Engineering is preferred.
• 0-4 years of relevant engineering experience
• EIT licensure or eligibility within the United States
• Experience with engineering design software will be an advantage, but not required: this includes SAP2000, RISA 3D, SAFE, Civil 3D, AutoCAD, Bluebeam, MathCAD
• Experience with working in a team setting
• Proactive communication skills, both oral and written, with individuals at all levels of the organization
• Worked with several aspects of project execution; client interaction; proposal and cost estimate preparations; subcontract management; feasibility studies; conceptual and detailed design; construction support; manufacturing inspection and factory acceptance test witness; project close-out.
• Past experience with Geotechnical engineering and survey related work is a plus.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Kiewit Corporation Jobs