UPMC Research Technician, Novasenta in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Performs laboratory activities to support therapy development efforts of Novasenta Inc., a UPMC Enterprises funded biotech startup focused on developing new cancer therapies targeting immunoregulatory mechanisms in the tumor microenvironment, reporting to Principal Scientist.
• Reports to Principal Scientist to ensure meeting the goals of Novasenta and pursuing the most promising targets within the tumor microenvironment for the development of therapeutics
• Conducts routine and non-routine lab procedures and assays for molecular, cellular and metabolic characterization of relevant samples from mouse models of cancer and human clinical cancer tissue under the supervision of Principal Scientist
• Assists experimental team members in biological, immunological assay development to investigate mechanisms of immune-mediated effects of novel identified targets
• As needed, supports the development and validation of new technologies for molecular, cellular and metabolic characterization of samples
• Documents and maintains a detailed and precise record of work performed
• Performs lab managerial, which includes ordering supplies and maintaining inventory, ensuring safety, service and maintain laboratory instruments of the lab, etc.
• Other job duties as assigned
What we offer you:
• Impact opportunity to drive inventions that can change the trajectory of cancer care for patients
• Competitive pay and benefits package.
• A dynamic, fast-paced startup culture combined with the stability of a well-established entity (UPMC).
• Work with some of the leaders in the immunotherapy and cancer field.
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry, or closed related field with 1-2 years of experience in industry or academic research lab setting
• Basic skills in laboratory techniques
• Prior research experience desired experience with several of the following relevant techniques:
o Mammalian cell culture
o Flow cytometry and cell sorting
o Molecular biology techniques (e.g., PCR, development of genetic constructs, cloning, primer design, etc.)
o NGS (WGS, WES or RNAseq, including preparation of genomic libraries)
o Processing and characterization of fresh human tumor samples
• Experience with Prism, Flowjo, MS office is desired
• Experience in working under GLP standards and ensuring safety compliance under BSL-2
• Experience with laboratory information system (LIMS) is a plus
• Good verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interpret, summarize, and present results in a clear, concise, accurate manner
• Must be team oriented and able to work in a highly collaborative and interactive work environment to complete complex tasks
• Must be able to manage multiple and rapidly changing priorities and have ability to quickly learn new skills
• Must be detail-oriented and well organized
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
- UPMC Jobs