Penn Medicine Lactation Consultant- Per Diem- Parent Education- Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Lactation Consultant- Per Diem- Parent Education- Pennsylvania Hospital
Job ID :106110
Job Category: Nursing
Specialty Area: Women's Health/OB-GYN
Primary Shift: Variable
Work Schedule: Per diem
Penn Medicine Entity: Pennsylvania Hospital
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Address: 800 Spruce St
Education Required: Per Position Description
Experience Required: Per Position Description
Employment Type: Per Diem
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Position Description :
Parent Education is seeking a per diem lactation consultant to join their team !
The outpatient Lactation Consultant nurse (LC) functions to enhance the normal process of lactation and to prevent, assess, and manage lactation problems in the ambulatory setting. The Lactation Consultant is a health care provider who is qualified to provide education and consultation for routine and special circumstances related to breastfeeding.
The outpatient Lactation Consultant (LC) collaborates with multi-disciplinary team members to develop plans of care for breastfeeding families, performs consultations at appropriate intervals, and establishes appropriate plan of care. The LC takes into account nurse-patient/family relationship and integrates patient/family concerns, beliefs and values into the plan of care. The LC continually evaluates the effectiveness of this plan of care and adapts the plan based on the patient's response.
The LC also:
• completes an initial assessment using principles of interviewing, observation, and physical assessments
• demonstrates the proper use of breast pumps and other breastfeeding accessories.
• provides assistance via telephone to pregnant and lactating women requiring information, counseling, follow-up, and refers them to appropriate programs.
• serves as a breastfeeding advocate, encouraging informed decision-making
• orients new staff to policies and practice guidelines and serves as a mentor for Lactation Interns and new hires
• demonstrates safe, competent practice within the UPHS professional practice model and demonstrates UPHS core values which reflect its mission
• provides direct care to patients who may range in age from infancy to the middle adulthood and demonstrates competency within the domains of practice for the nursing department
• demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide individualized care based on physical, psychosocial, cultural, educational, safety, and age appropriate considerations of assigned patients
• complies with all regulations and standards of regulatory and accrediting bodies
• supports the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative by promoting the 10 Steps to Successful Breastfeeding and adhering to the international code of marketing of breast milk substitutes.
• assures patient confidentiality, privacy, and advocates for both verbal and non-verbal patients
• maintains consistent organization and prioritization of workload, confident management of emergency situations and effective communication and documentation
• safely uses common equipment in the practice setting and consults others when unfamiliar situations arise
• adheres to all entity policies and all mandatory educational requirements
• contributes to the appropriate use of resources and establishing quality of care as a priority
• participates in quality improvement initiatives
• incorporates evidence-based changes into his/her practice
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Minimum Requirements :
Requirements: Baccalaureate degree required. Must be International Board Certified Lactation Consultant with two years of inpatient experience or equivalent preferred. Must have Basic Cardiac Life Support certification.
Additional Information :
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Penn Medicine http://www.pennmedicine.org/careers/
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
- Penn Medicine Jobs