Job Information

Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Electronics Technician in Palo Alto, California

Summary This position serves as an Electronics Technician responsible for the engineering, installation, and ongoing operational support of non-medical electronic equipment and systems at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in Palo Alto, CA. Responsibilities THIS IS NOT A VIRTUAL POSITION, YOU MUST LIVE WITHIN OR BE WILLING TO RELOCATE WITHIN A COMMUTABLE DISTANCE OF THE DUTY LOCATION Major Duties: Administrative Duties: Troubleshoots and corrects system malfunctions on complex microprocessor-based systems Prepares both routine and special written reports covering systems and equipment tests, failures, maintenance records, etc. Serves in a consultive capacity to VA construction staff/contractors regarding protection of and/or maintenance of systems in occupied buildings. Technical Duties: Researches, designs, configures, installs, modifies, upgrades, repairs, and integrates, as needed, highly complex electronics systems and subsystems used throughout the health care system. Determine the degree such life safety systems are to be shut down to avoid false alarms Performs timely shutdown and reactivation of the systems. Subject to emergency call back if critical systems and their backup systems fails. Responsible for notifying the owning service and the Electronics Engineer Supervisor, if determination is made that the equipment or systems should be taken out of service. Perform other related duties, as assigned. Work Schedule: Monday - Friday - 8:00AM - 4:30PM Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required Requirements Conditions of Employment Qualifications Specialized Experience: You must have one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade, in the Federal service,GS-10, in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization that has given you the particular knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform the duties of an Electronics Technician, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Some examples of qualifying specialized experience include: Work as a technician, instructor, inspector, or mechanic (civilian or military) that showed progression in theoretical and practical knowledge of electronic theory, and the characteristics, function, operation, and capabilities of a variety of types of electronic equipment. This experience must have included the use of schematic diagrams, a variety of test equipment, and the application of appropriate electronic formulas involved in such duties as testing, troubleshooting, modifying, designing, calibrating, installing, maintaining, repairing, constructing, developing, and instructing on electronic equipment, or similar functions. Experience in developing policies, standards, and procedures for maintenance, installation, or similar functions, provided the work clearly shows that the applicant applied a specialized knowledge of the theories and principles of a variety of electronic systems or equipment. -OR- Education: Possess a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M., if related. The education is qualifying if it provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the Electronics Technician position. (TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED) -OR- Combination of Education and Experience: Possess an equivalent combination of education (above a master's degree) that would be qualifying for the position of an electronics technician and specialized experience equivalent to the GS-10 grade level to qualify for this position? (TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED) You will be rated on the following Competencies as part of the assessment questionnaire for this position: CommunicationsComputers and ElectronicsConfiguration ManagementQuality Management IMPORTANT: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. All experience listed on your resume must include the month and year start/end dates. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at Education IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education. NOTE: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: Additional Information Physical Requirements: The work can be physically demanding involving walking, sitting, crawling, climbing, standing, and long periods of intense concentration. Lifting of objects between 10 and 50 pounds is common, and on occasion lifting of 100-pound objects is necessary. Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed. Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities (i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities), and/or disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. For more information on how to apply using this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator within the office, contact the facility Human Resources Department at (650) 493-5000. It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment. Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members. The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 85 or more before any Veterans preference points) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies. If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.