Illinois Tool Works, Inc. Process Engineer in Ottawa, Illinois
1510 Warehouse Dr, Ottawa, IL 61350, USA
FLSA Status: Exempt
Founded in 1912, Illinois Tool Works Inc. (NYSE: ITW) is a diversified, Fortune 500 manufacturing company that delivers specialized expertise, innovative thinking and value-added products to meet critical customer needs in a variety of industries. Ranked among Fortune Magazine’s most admired companies, the company focuses on solid growth, improving profitability and strong returns across its worldwide platforms and divisions. These divisions serve customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets. ITW’s revenues total $14.8 billion in 2018.
This position is within ITW’s Zip-Pak division. Zip-Pak is the global leader in resealable solutions for the flexible packaging industry. Our expertise in zipper, application technology, and packaging systems makes Zip-Pak the primary choice of brand owners, OEM’s, and converters for innovative resealable solutions. Zip-Pak’s lean, modern, and continuous manufacturing environments produce zippers using high-volume plastic extrusion. Manufacturing sites are in the United States, Europe, and South America.
Job DescriptionNO VISA SPONSORSHIP AVAILABLE
The Process Engineer is responsible for managing and executing production process projects within the Zip-Pak production facility. The Process Engineer will provide technical input on material selection and fitness for use in support of Zip-Pak Operations and in support of Zip-Pak Strategic Sourcing initiatives, confer with New Product Development, Quality and Operations to create and improve processes that optimize manufacturability, functionality, cost and quality. The Process Engineer will work under the direction of the Operations Manager in a collaborative environment. Work in a cross functional team will consist of other engineers, technicians, and production staff who are responsible for the design and improvement of processes from concept through to commercial production.
· Optimizes production processes to ensure consistent results and eliminate personnel variability
· Identifies cost savings opportunities
· Leads trials to improve processes, procedures, and reliability
· Develops technical capabilities of site personnel through formal and informal coaching
· Builds and maintains a formalized management of change process
· Builds a Center lining Process from the ground up
· Manages scope, timeline, and requirements to achieve project success
· Coordinates the design and assembly of production tooling between engineering and production
· Plans and organizes project time lines for assigned projects using established formalized Project Management tools. Advises leadership of any cost/delivery related issues for assigned projects
· Conducts regular project meetings with customers and, internally, publishes timely project updates and follows-up continuously on all open critical path items
· Demonstrates knowledge of the zipper extrusion processes within Zip-Pak globally
· Works with Strategic Sourcing group to identify improvements with material procurement
· Works with operations team to identify improvements in production materials and processes
· Plans and implements laboratory operations to develop material and fabrication procedures for new materials to fulfill product cost and performance standards
· Confers with producers of polymer materials during investigation and evaluation of materials suitable for specific product applications
· Displays strong mechanical aptitude; demonstrates a good understanding of dynamic machine design
· Interfaces with customers and suppliers on project matters
· Creates standard procedures, work instructions, and validation plan as required
· Works effectively with production, engineering, quality and sales personnel for process improvement initiatives in all of Zip-Pak’s global facilities
· Manages engineering change cycle
· Produces QA and process documents for new products/processes
· Has knowledge of polymers, extrusion, and injection molding techniques
· Demonstrates computer skills required for the position – spreadsheet and database software and the ability to read and manipulate 3D CAD drawings
· Applies 80/20 principals to daily operations
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar technical field
· 1 to 3 years of experience in industrial manufacturing, or equivalent combination of education and experience
· Experience in plastic extrusion is preferred
· Must have strong analytical skills and demonstrate solid skills in communication, interpersonal relations
· Strong organizational and project management skills
· Proficient in the use of Design software; Project Management software; and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
· Must be willing to be a change leader
· Proficient in 3D modeling software, Solidworks experience preferred
· Training in experimental design techniques and exposure to packaging industry is desired
· FDA, USDA, CFIA, and food contact experience preferred
· Must be willing and able to travel up to 25%
Take this opportunity to join a successful and enthusiastic global team where you can make a significant impact immediately. You will enjoy a competitive salary and a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, life, LTD insurance, 401k (with company match), employee assistance, wellness and 100% tuition reimbursement programs. ITW is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
ITW is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Illinois Tool Works, Inc.
- Illinois Tool Works, Inc. Jobs