Job Information

Interior, US Fish and Wildlife Service Park Ranger (Visitor Services Specialist) in Location Negotiable After Selection, United States

Summary This position is a Park Ranger (Visitor Services Specialist), GS- 0025-9 working for the R4-Theodore Roosevelt NWR Complex. This is a term position expected to last 13 months but may be extended up to a total of 4 years. Although Duty Location is negotiable, selectee's Duty Location will be located in or around the Theodore Roosevelt National Wildlife Refuge Complex in Mississippi. Responsibilities As a Park Ranger (Visitor Services Specialist) your duties will include, but are not limited to, the following: Participate in the development, management, and implementation of a high quality and balanced visitor services (VS) program. Develop and implement interpretive and environmental education programs and products. Assist Refuge staff develop compatibility determinations for visitor services activities and facilities on refuges. Assist Refuge staff in developing, conducting, and analyzing surveys and visitor use studies. Participate in the coordination and development of Visitor Services Plans. Support refuges in applying for challenge cost share, volunteer/friends group grants, contributed funds accounts, and other budget enhancement packages. With other Visitor Services and Refuge staff, develop policies and procedures for charging user and entrance fees under the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act. Assist with identifying requirements and developing scopes of work and cost estimates for activities associated with the VS function. Provide support for refuges to prepare routine, short-term plans, addressing issues such as building opening and closing times, staffing, cleaning schedules, and routine maintenance. Participate in the development, coordination, and implementation of refuge or issue specific outreach and communication. Provide graphic design support for signs, publications, and other products for Regional and field station use. Identify potential partnership activities with community organizations and corporations (Scouts, service organizations, local governments and businesses). Participate in partnerships that are beneficial to the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) and its mission with corporate, conservation, and other non-government organizations. Requirements Conditions of Employment Qualifications Only experience and education obtained by 10/27/2021 will be considered. In order to qualify for this position you must possess the Minimum Qualification. Minimum Qualification GS-09: One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 grade level. This experience has equipped me with the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position and is in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Specialized Experience includes: Develop environmental education curricula or programs; develop and manage partnerships with community organizations and corporations; utilize knowledge of natural resources and public use related laws, regulations, policies, standards, or procedures to lead a visitor services program. OR Have 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree - Major study: natural resource management, natural sciences, earth sciences, history, archeology, anthropology, park and recreation management, law enforcement/police science, social sciences, museum sciences, business administration, public administration, behavioral sciences, sociology, or other closely related subjects pertinent to the management and protection of natural and cultural resources. OR A combination of education and experience as described in 1 and 2 above which together equals 100% of the requirement. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Education PROOF OF EDUCATION: All applicants who are using education or a combination of education and experience to qualify must submit copies of official or unofficial transcripts which include grades, credit hours earned, major(s), grade point average or class ranking, institution name, and student name. If any required coursework is not easily recognizable on transcripts, or if you believe a portion of a particular course can be credited toward meeting an educational requirement, you must also provide a memorandum on letterhead from the institution's registrar, dean, or other appropriate official stating the percentage of the course that should be considered to meet the requirement and the equivalent number of units. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for the position, you will be required to produce the original official transcripts. PASS/FAIL COURSES: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society. GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study. FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education. For further information, visit: Additional Information Telework: This position is suitable for telework and may be allowed to telework with supervisory approval. PCS: No PCS Authorized with this position. Additional Vacancies: One or more positions may be filled from applications received under this announcement in the advertised office or other U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service offices in the local commuting area. Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP):Department of Interior (DOI) Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) procedures apply in filling this vacancy. CTAP/ICTAP provides placement assistance to permanent Federal employees who are surplus, displaced, or involuntarily separated. Applicants claiming CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit a copy of their most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location with their application. To be considered under CTAP/ICTAP, applicants must be well-qualified (i.e., meet the minimum qualification requirements, including any selective placement factors; education, and experience requirements), score at least 85 on the assessment questionnaire, and be able to perform the duties of the position upon entry. For information on CTAP and ICTAP visit:"