Overland Contracting, Inc. Solar - General Foreman in Fort Pierce, Florida
Solar - General Foreman
Overland Contracting Inc. (OCI), a Black & Veatch company, provides construction services in the open/merit shop arena. Since 1996, OCI has been an industry leader in building vital infrastructure and provides a comprehensive range of construction services in the areas of power generation, power delivery, telecommunications, and water. Tailored to fit our clients' project-specific needs, services are available through direct hire or subcontract options utilizing open or merit shop labor in support of EPC projects, as well as construction-only work for the water, energy and telecommunications markets.
Manage and supervise multiple crews simultaneously in all aspects of solar photovoltaic construction including electrical and civil components. Plan and coordinate the efforts of the foremen and crewmen under his/her supervision and motivate them to accomplish the work safely, correctly and efficiently.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Be able to perform all of the principal duties and accountabilities of craft workers under his/her supervision.
• Lead and support all safety related processes and programs as requested. Engage with your work team to ensure we achieve zero injuries. No job is so important that your safety and that of your crew will be compromised. Watch for hazards and report any concerns to your supervisor or safety professional. If needed, use your stop work authority until the issue is resolved. Monitor crews for heat related injuries and stop work before heat stress sets in.
• Be proficient in scheduling, material control/readiness, unit man-hour performance, estimating fundamentals, and job cost management in the Field Process Management System (FPMS).
• Be able to create and execute a 3 week schedule and monitor the foreman’s one week schedule.
• Monitor/plan crew goals and proactively make changes necessary to keep crews on track with goals.
• Review and approve crew's timecards for correct hours and phase coding.
• Participate in incident investigations and report accidents and act to prevent future occurrences to project management and site safety. Assist in leading the investigation process as needed and review accidents and the causes with employees.
• Lead, complete, and sign off on daily pre-job safety planning in the appropriate format. Identify safety hazards you or other employees may be subject to and take all necessary corrective action to eliminate or mitigate hazards. Assure all crew members understand, participate, and sign all pre-job safety planning tools at start and end of shift.
• Understand and respond appropriately to all safety hazards and warning devices (i.e. back-up alarms, smell of smoke, different colored warning tags, warning sirens).
• Follow established safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe and clean work environment.
• Use effective verbal and written communication skills. Add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers and fractions rapidly and accurately.
• Listen to other employees and supervisor's suggestions, complaints, problems, safety concerns and recommendations, evaluate each and then devise and implement a plan of action based on that evaluation.
• Assure Foreman are providing on-the-job training to craft workers.
• Plan and communicate with supervisor to assure that an adequate supply of tools, materials and equipment are available.
• Understand and periodically review project master schedule. Prepare and monitor the progress of the work accomplished relative to the Short Interval Schedule.
• Gain a complete understanding of the scope of work and the related parts of the project. Develop a thorough understanding of the project plans, specifications and schedule as they relate to that portion of the work assigned; review with foremen at start of and throughout the task. Delegate and communicate safety concerns, work scope, plans, budgeted man-hours and schedules to the foremen.
• Monitor productivity rates and review with foremen. Prepare daily reports completely and accurately.
• Assure employees produce quality work, meeting requirements of plans, specifications and industry standards.
• Be able to verify locations in the field, using drawings/maps.
• Inspect subordinate's work for compliance with the, contract plans, specifications, and industry standards. Ensure that correct construction procedures are followed during installation. Point out deficiencies, explain them, and take corrective action needed.
• Ensure that construction equipment is correctly operated, maintained, in good working order, and Daily Equipment Inspections are completed for equipment being utilized.
• Complete performance reviews for subordinates according to Craft Performance Assessment (CPA) Guidelines and assure foreman is completing reviews of craft workers.
Must have working experience as a Solar Foreman and Solar Technician with a strong working knowledge of the Solar Photovoltaic construction craft and the assembly, installation, or maintenance of solar photovoltaic (PV) systems for ground or roof installation. Must set standards of excellence in leadership, safety, quality and productivity for the members of his/her crew. Ability to understand and follow directions. Must have all necessary tools (see Solar Installer Tool List). Must be at least 18 years of age.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
One or more of the following certifications: NCCER Solar Photovoltaic Installer NCCER Electrician NCCER Concrete Finishing NCCER Carpenter
Overland Contracting Inc. (OCI), a Black and Veatch subsidiary, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. OCI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.