Medtronic Principal Industrial Design in Boston, Massachusetts
Careers that Change Lives
In this role, you will join a world class team of mechanical, electrical and software engineers responsible
for further development and enhancement of the global Medtronic Surgical Operating Unit.
Medtronic’s Surgical Operating Unit is one new, powerful operating unit bringing together the people and
product portfolio of Surgical Robotics and Surgical Innovations. With the Medtronic Mission as our North
Star, we will build on our legacy of proven surgical solutions and advance the promise of robotics and
digital solutions for the benefit of the customers and patients we serve.
Make your impact by exploring a career with the world’s leading Medical Device company, striving “to
alleviate pain, restore health, and extend life.”
A Day in The Life
Located in the Medtronic office in the Boston office as a Principal Industrial Designer, you will help to
execute Industrial Design efforts within the User Centered Design team as part of the Systems Center of
Excellence, working in a fast-paced environment with a team of human factors engineers. This role will
work on exciting, challenging, and fast-paced projects to support the Surgical Operating Unit. Your focus
will be on concepting physical interface and interactions that align with surgeons’ and surgical staff’s
expectations and abilities, with a particular eye towards safety and ease of use. Specifically, this in this
position, you will be responsible for maintaining and/or improving user experience reducing usability risks
for patients and surgical staff, improving usability workflows, and adhering to our visual design guidelines
for Industrial Design such as:
• Defining the industrial design, implementing the Medtronic’s brand language for complex
medical devices in the Surgical Operating Unit’s product portfolio.
• Participating in research activities to identify user needs/requirements and translating those
findings, insights into design solutions.
• Driving decision making on product features and functionality partnering with Product
Management, Engineering and the Research & Technology team.
• Leading concept definition for new products and platforms using “systems thinking” and user
centered design methodologies.
• Conceptualizing and visualizing product designs and physical interactions using sketching, 3D
CAD and renderings, and physical mock-ups.
• Support ing design and development of user interfaces working with UI designers, software
developers. Creating sketches, CAD models prototypes, a range of low to high-fidelity mockups
and effectively communicating design intent to engineering, software, requirements, and product
• Creating proof of concept models that effectively communicate design intent and demonstrate
• Supporting and guiding the product labeling in creation of images and technical documentation
such as User manuals, IFUs and Quick Reference Guides, instructional help content.
Commented [SO1]: See green and red alternatives here
• Leading the design of new products from initial concept to manufacturing. Develop product
concepts, with clear and compelling visual communication, prototype continuously, test designs
with users, translate results back into the design process.
• Collaborating with broader design team, engineering, operations, and manufacturing partners to
identify opportunities, solve design issues, preserve brand, and create manufacturable solutions.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
Experience and requirements to be successful in this role:
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, or related design field with relevant or equivalent
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience working in Industrial Design role, 5 years’ experience in medical
device or related industry preferred. 5 years Demonstrated experience in the capacity as a User
Experience lead for new product development.
• Proficient and experienced in all phases of the product development process - from research to
concept development and detail design for manufacturing. Highly motivated self-starter able to
achieve results with minimal oversight.
• Apply persuasion to change the thinking of and/or gain acceptance from various stakeholders,
cross-functional teams and drive decision making while maintaining an effective working
• Experience in managing physical user experience of a system such as User Interface(s),
Industrial Design, and Usability.
• Broad project management skills and the ability to seamlessly switch between big picture thinking
and product-level details.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong creative, analytical, and problemsolving, technical judgement, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
• Effectively visually communicate and present design vision, research findings, concepts, detailed
design both verbally and visually. Ability to present complex ideas to multiple levels.
• Be familiar with relevant quality regulations (21 CFR Part 820.30), human factors/usability
engineering standards (IEC 62366-1, ANSI HE75), risk management (ISO 14971), and FDA
• Develop collaborative working relationships with a range of functions including, but not limited to
R&D, Marketing, Engineering, Manufacturing, Supply Chain functions.
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Suites (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) KeyShot, Solidworks,
CREO is a plus.
• Excellent sketching, form development, CAD modeling, physical (soft & hard) model making
skills, 3D printing, rendering, and graphic skills is a plus. Impeccable craftsmanship and attention
This is a hybrid position that will be required to be on-site at the Boston Office a few days a week.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology,
therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge
ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and
rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed
with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve
patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions
of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer and
communicate with peers and co-workers.
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
- Medtronic Jobs