Lockheed Martin Ship Design Engineer in Baltimore, Maryland
Description: Lockheed Martin is seeking experienced and driven mechanical engineers to join the marine engineering team in our Rotary and Mission Systems (RMS) division. In this role you will join an experienced team of engineers designing all of the major hull, mechanical, and electrical systems on the Multi-Mission Surface Combatant (MMSC), an exciting new construction ship class being built for US Navy Foreign Military Sales. The selected candidate will work closely with one of the engineering discipline leads responsible for functional design of system arrangements and calculations. This is an opportunity for solving challenging assignments working on a fast paced, complex ship.
The Engineer’s main role is to solve technical problems, review and update 2D and 3D designs, develop applicable documentation, and assist the program leads in fulfilling the technical requirements of the project. The selected candidate will work in one or more of the following disciplines, depending on qualifications: ship structure, piping, propulsion systems, electrical systems, auxiliary systems, and outfitting.
Specific Responsibilities of the position may include:
• Work independently to solve technical issues in 2D and 3D designs
• Provide drawing interpretation to the shipyard constructing the MMSC
• Perform detailed engineering calculations to validate system designs meet ship construction requirements
• Resolve design issues that emerge during production
• Review / oversee vendor product designs and acceptance test activities
• Track and report progress to budget and schedule commitments
• Facilitate communications of issues and solutions throughout the MMSC industry team
• Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, marine engineering, electrical engineering, or a related discipline.
• Minimum of 2 years previous professional experience in a related engineering discipline.
• Experience using computer-aided design equipment and/or graphic tools such as, AutoCAD or CATIA.
• Periodic travel to the Lockheed Martin facility in Baltimore, MD and our partner shipyard in Marinette, WI will be required.
• U.S. Citizen with ability to obtain DoD Secret Level Clearance
• Familiarity with hull, mechanical, or electrical equipment operated on naval vessels.
• Knowledge of ship design principles.
• Understanding of American Bureau of Shipping Naval Vessel Rules
• Previous experience with US DoD and/or US Navy programs
• Working knowledge of standard shipbuilding rules and regulations, as well as the associated regulatory agencies and the review & approval process.
• Familiarity with Navisworks software for reviewing integrated 3D models.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
- Lockheed Martin Jobs