Trinity Health Registered Nurse 11 East Progressive Care Medical Oncology Unit in Ann Arbor, Michigan
*An Opportunity to Join our Remarkable Care Team!*
Saint Joseph Mercy Health System, one of the nation's top health care services providers, spanning five counties in Southeastern Michigan. SJMHS represents more than 2,700 physicians and 14,000 nurses and staff, and includes 5 Hospitals, 5 Outpatient Health Centers, 8 Urgent Care Facilities and over 25 Specialty Centers. SJMHS is part of Trinity Health a national Catholic health system with an enduring legacy and a steadfast mission to be a transforming and healing presence within the communities we serve.
As a mission-driven innovative health organization, we will become the national leader in improving the health of our communities and each person we serve. We will be the most trusted health partner for life. Our Core Values, Reverence, Commitment to the Poor, Justice, Stewardship, and Integrity guide our behaviors to help us achieve our Vision.
11 East is a 32 bed unit that provides services to adults with hematologic and Oncologic diagnosis to a wide range of general medical diagnosis. 11 East also utilizes generalized telemetry to care for patients. Solid tumors, hematological, malignancies, pain control, terminal illness, diabetes, chemical dependency, complex family and/or psychosocial issues, and multi-system organ diseases are commonly seen.
Provides quality patient centered care considering age specific, developmental, cultural and spiritual needs through competent clinical practice and application of the nursing process. Consistently integrates concepts of relationship based care into practice. Serves as a clinical and educational resource to others on the unit. Assumes accountability for nursing care of designated patients. Demonstrates unit/area-designated competencies.
*DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:*
- Views patient holistically; considers physical, psychosocial, emotional, age specific, cultural and spiritual factors and demonstrates appropriate assessment skills for an identified patient population.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills by gathering and analyzing patient information, then responding to a patient situation. Implements corrective and/or creative interventions to achieve desired outcomes. Perseveres through barriers/obstacles to achieve the best possible outcomes for the patient.
- Develops implements, evaluates and revises an individualized plan of care using evidenced based interventions and standards of care, while actively involving the patient and family. Identifies needs and begins to plan for care across the continuum.
- Identifies patient and family education needs. Develops and implements teaching plan based on existing standards, seeking out additional resources when necessary. Utilizes teach back methodology to assure patient and family is learning effectively. Identifies necessary resources to assure readiness for discharge and begins to develop plan in collaboration with other disciplines.
- Participates effectively as a member of the interdisciplinary team by collaborating to achieve patient outcomes. Participates directly or indirectly in interdisciplinary rounds. Assures achievement of quality patient outcomes in collaboration with medical staff and health care team. Participates in unit/organizational quality and safety initiatives to improve patient outcomes.
- Demonstrates awareness of potential hospital acquired conditions such as nosocomial infections, falls and pressure ulcers and actively seeks to prevent.
- Identifies customer service needs and meets or exceeds expectations. Creates an environment that promotes customer satisfaction and the patient experience.
- Respectfully communicates both written and verbal information that is accurate, timely, concise and thorough. Effectively communicates patient status, priority goals and interventions to colleagues and other disciplines during consultation, rounds and handoffs.
Manages team members to provide care for a group of patients during a designated time frame. Prioritizes necessary activities and delegates appropriately. Demonstrates effective team member skills.
Efficiently organizes and prioritizes individual workload around patient and unit needs. Adjusts activities and plan depending on situation. Seeks to improve personal organizational skills to increase work efficiencies. Consistently demonstrates purposeful rounding.
- Stewards available resources effectively
- Demonstrates professional behaviors:
- Identifies own education and professional growth needs, develops plan and seeks resources to address
- Completes professional activities such as self-appraisal, Healthstream assignments, licensure renewal contact hours.
- Participates in QI and evidence based practice activities and integrates resultant changes into practice
- Identifies problems & initiates appropriate follow up
- Assumes leadership responsibilities as delegated such as relief nurse coordinator
- Contributes to education & growth of colleagues by providing evaluation feedback, mentoring new staff to facility or unit, assists with planning and presenting educational experiences for self and colleagues based on identified unit needs
- Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships. Approaches conflict in a constructive manner. Helps to identify problems, offer solutions, and participate in their resolution. Responds to questions and needs in a non-threatening and receptive manner
- Maintains the confidentiality of information acquired pertaining to patients, physicians, employees and visitors to St. Joseph Mercy Hospitals. Discusses patient and hospital information only among appropriate personnel in appropriately private places. Follows all HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Behaves in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Mercy Hospitals. Adheres to established performance standards.
- Assumes responsibility for performance of job duties in the safest possible manner, to assure personal safety and that of coworkers, patients and families. Uses all available safety equipment. Reports all preventable hazards and unsafe practices including near misses and actual errors either to management or using the VOICE reporting system.
*EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:*
Graduation from accredited nursing program, New hires as of 1/1/12 must have a BSN degree or must agree in writing to obtain their BSN within the specified time frame.
Requires current Michigan Nursing License
Required Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of nursing theory, practice and age specific needs as demonstrated by successful completion of introductory orientation behaviors for Registered Nurse.
Interpersonal skills necessary to initiate and maintain collegial relationships with coworkers and therapeutic relationships with patients and families.
Critical thinking skills necessary to perform principal duties and responsibilities of job description.
Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail when planning and performing professional nursing care.
Ability to walk and stand continuously at least 90% of the time.
Ability to move, lift and position patients
For more information regarding career opportunities with Saint Joseph Mercy Health System please visit www.stjoeshealth.org/careers.
Successful candidate will be subject to mandatory vaccinations/immunizations unless they qualify for an available exemption.
This document is intended to describe the generalized duties and responsibilities, the specialized job functions, and the essential requirements of this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive statement of all supplemental duties, responsibilities, or non-essential requirements or reflect any accommodations made under the American's with Disability Act, the Michigan Handicapper's Act, or SJMHS's Return to Work Program.
Job Number: 00164598
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - SJMHS Hospital Ann Arbor
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: 12 Hour Day Shift