Job Information

Interior, US Fish and Wildlife Service Biological Science Technician in Anahuac, Texas

Summary This position is a Biological Science Technician, GS-0404-4 working in Anahuac, Texas for the R2-Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge. This is a term position expected to last 13 months, but may be extended up to a total of 4 years, at management's discretion. Responsibilities As a Biological Science Technician your duties will include, but are not limited to, the following: Assist with conducting a variety of biological field work to include operating the Refuge Hunt Check Stations for waterfowl. Measure waterfowl characteristics, records, and organizes data. Maintain accurate records of observations made or data collected. Perform, prescribed fire practices gained through experience gained during Wildland Firefighting Training and Certification process. Navigates to field locations using maps, compass, and Global Positioning Systems. Utilizes various software, including GPS and GIS technologies, to transfer locational data and other biological and resource information into various formats. Prepares field data and notes to support biological reports. Gathers and collates technical information from files and puts it into the desired format. Assists with copying, filing, mail management, phone reception, and general office work. Requirements Conditions of Employment Qualifications Only experience and education obtained by 12/03/2021 will be considered. In order to qualify for this position you must possess the Minimum Qualification. Minimum Qualification [GS-04] One year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility equivalent to grade GS-03 in the Federal service. Experience may include operating heavy equipment or farm tractors (controlled environment); assisting with the control of invasive plants by manual, mechanical, or chemical means; conducting wildlife surveys. OR Successful completion of 2 years of study that included at least 12 semester hours in any combination of scientific or technical courses such as biology, chemistry, statistics, entomology, animal husbandry, botany, physics, agriculture, or mathematics. At least 6 semester hours of courses must be directly related to the position to be filled. OR A combination of education and experience as described in 1 and 2 above which together equals 100% of the requirement Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Education PROOF OF EDUCATION: All applicants who are using education or a combination of education and experience to qualify must submit copies of official or unofficial transcripts which include grades, credit hours earned, major(s), grade point average or class ranking, institution name, and student name. If any required coursework is not easily recognizable on transcripts, or if you believe a portion of a particular course can be credited toward meeting an educational requirement, you must also provide a memorandum on letterhead from the institution's registrar, dean, or other appropriate official stating the percentage of the course that should be considered to meet the requirement and the equivalent number of units. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for the position, you will be required to produce the original official transcripts. PASS/FAIL COURSES: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society. GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study. FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education. For further information, visit: Additional Information Telework: This position is not suitable for telework. Additional Vacancies: One or more positions may be filled from applications received under this announcement in the advertised office or other U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service offices in the local commuting area. Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP): Department of Interior (DOI) Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) procedures apply in filling this vacancy. CTAP/ICTAP provides placement assistance to permanent Federal employees who are surplus, displaced, or involuntarily separated. Applicants claiming CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit a copy of their most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location with their application. To be considered under CTAP/ICTAP, applicants must be well-qualified (i.e., meet the minimum qualification requirements, including any selective placement factors; education, and experience requirements), score at least 85 on the assessment questionnaire, and be able to perform the duties of the position upon entry. For information on CTAP and ICTAP visit:"